Monday 2 March 2015

The Magic of Classical Equitation

My riding journey began almost 20 years ago, though it was only recently, in the last 6 years or so, that I finally found what I had unknowingly been searching for. It was the book's title that captured my attention 'Invisible Riding', the author, you ask, is of course Sylvia Loch. 

From the beginning, all I aspired to be was a good rider. Applying aids onlookers couldn't see, a private conversation between me and my horse. I wanted to work in harmony and in partnership with the horse's I was fortunate enough to ride. This very book, 'Invisible Riding', was the key to opening the door to the world of Classical Riding, the Great Masters of the past and of modern day. Little did I know that this was going to influence the rest of my life both for me, my horses and future students. 

Spring of 2014, Amber, our Hanoverian cross (pictured left), appeared to become arthritic in both hind legs. The vet advised that she should be turned out as much as possible and very light work, mainly hacking. We followed his advice and turned her out with her companion, Eric, for the next few months. Her freedom of movement slowly improved. I was heartbroken, I was finally beginning to feel we were beginning to touch upon he ideal of 'lightness' and now, it appeared as though Amber and I would never reach those heights. 

In June, a student and friend of mine had arranged for us to both have lessons with Sylvia and her generous school master, Prazer. I can't quite remember the conversation, but at the end of my lesson, Sylvia said something that struck a chord, again, directing me back to the Classical Masters. I wish I could remember the exact words. They revolved around studying the literature and history of the Old Masters since much knowledge could be gained from them. 

I began with Stephanie Grant Millham's wonderful book 'The Legacy of Master Nuno Oliveira'. A book that compiled numerous conversations between the author and Master. In this book was a straight to the point sentence that transformed Amber from a semi retired 'Happy Hacker' to the horse I look to teach students on the lunge (bareback with a vaulting roller no less!) and my own personal teacher less than a year later. What was the sentence you ask?

"Shoulder-in is like aspirin for horses."

As soon as I read Oliveira's words, I knew this was what I needed to do and so the therapeutic schooling began. Sure enough, the words rung true. Amber has always been a forward going mare, naturally wanting to balance on her shoulders as that was her conformation. I always found it difficult to channel her energy and her weight back into engaged hind quarters. I know now it was through a lack knowledge, guidance, skill and one's own weak core that made this challenging and could've inevitably caused the onset of potential arthritis. I began to concentrate more on myself too, developed and improved my core stability, worked with Sylvia on my position in the saddle and on the ground and I studied. I soon found I was able to influence Amber's balance now I understood how to use my core and my pelvis now confirmed in the 3 point position. With the help of shoulder-in and other lateral movements, Amber became supple, more engaged behind, lighter in hand and balanced. Amber came back feeling and looking better than ever, proof of correctly used gymnastic exercises and the benefits of working with nature. I too, was feeling the benefits in my own body and position and mentally, I had grown in confidence, I was finally beginning to believe in myself. 

Following the Classical Principles, the tried and tested methods of the great Master's of the past and today, I have been able to give life back to a much beloved horse. In doing so, I have also grown both mentally and physically, becoming absorbed by Classical Riding, it's simplicity, it's logic, it's forever growing beauty and the love it creates between you and the most noblest and generous of creatures, the horse. 

This is only the beginning of my classical adventure, I still have much to learn. I now have the starting point of the Classical Seat and my posture is continually improving. I am inspired by the Classical Masters and I aspire to achieve their heights of Classical Mastery, knowing how right this path is for me and my horses... I only hope more people are able to open their eyes and see for themselves the simple, logical wonders of riding the Classical way and how it can well and truly influence your whole life for the better. 



If you'd like to know more about Classical Riding, please visit The Classical Riding Club's website:
http://www.classicalriding.co.uk/

No comments:

Post a Comment